Coronavirus – Update
Issued 25th March 2020
In line with government restrictions The Hideaway and Rufus’s Roost will be closed until further notice. We will not be accepting any new bookings or arrivals before April 14th 2020 when we will, under government guidance, review the situation and our options. As this is a very fluid situation further updates will appear here and on our social pages.
Can I still go on my holiday?
If your stay is before 14 April:
The UK government have now advised that people within the UK only leave home for essential purposes between 24 March and 13 April. This means that you will not be able to go on ANY holiday during this time. I also recommend that you do not travel before 4 May and I won’t be taking any new bookings.
If you have a booking during this time please contact me via email@example.com to see if I can arrange a date change later in the year or for stays up to 30 June 2021. To change your booking please look at the calendar for some free available dates and email firstname.lastname@example.org (please don’t call as I am dealing with an exceptional volume of enquiries!) with your booking reference, you can find this in your booking confirmation. Please also include some ordered preferred dates, listing the date you would like to stay and for how many nights. If there is a change in price I can add the additional price onto the booking which can be paid online if it’s of a higher value, or credit/refund the difference if it is a lower price than the stay you have currently booked.
If your stay is between 14 April and 4 May:
The wellbeing of my guests is the most important thing to me. With this in mind I would encourage you not to travel at this time and I won’t be taking any further bookings before May 4th. I will be in touch to discuss your options, but I am working through bookings starting with the ones happening soonest, so please bear with me. It’s usually possible to move your dates to later in the year. Doing this will support my small business and the community you are travelling to.
If your stay is after 4 May:
I know you really want to get your booking sorted and know where you stand, but I have to ask that you do not contact me whilst I work through the backlog of earlier enquiries. I will definitely be in touch. 🙂 If your booking is not within the travel ban period it is not yet affected and I will be prioritising stays during this period first. I would ask you to avoid contacting me until I know more about government advice throughout that period. I will continue to follow government advice and will make a statement on May bookings as soon as the situation becomes clearer.
Issued 22nd March 2020
To all guests;
Please keep an eye on our website and social media pages for updates.
For those of you who would like to cancel your reservation can I please ask you to consider changing your dates rather than asking for a refund, this would help immensely. I would be ever so grateful and will make sure you receive some free logs or cider next time you stay. 😉 You are more than welcome to change your dates to later this year or even next year and can change them any day right up until your day of arrival, (should you want to keep the dates & wait and see if things change).
Thank you for your time and understanding in what has become something akin to living in a sci-fi movie these last few days!
If you would like to change your dates please check availability and prices via the website before emailing email@example.com
Please allow a few days for me to amend your booking. I will confirm any date requests via email and send a new booking confirmation.
Thank you again and take care of one another, stay safe.