There is plenty of open space and a luxurious, heated log amenity building where the showers are as warm as the welcome. In keeping with the campfire theme, hot water is heated using a wood-fired boiler (well…a state-of-the-art wood pellet Biomass boiler actually!) and there is a heat recovery system to add to our ‘eco’ credentials.
In Reception we have a small shop (please note it is only a small shop stocking the essentials, it is not a Tesco Express!). We stock essentials such as;
Husthwaite Village grown and produced Cider and Apple Juice, Baxby Free Range Eggs, Logs, Firelighters, Matches, Wine, Bottled Beers, Gin and Tonic in a can, Cereals, Teabags, Tin Foil, Ketchup, Milk, Soft Drinks, Marshmallows, Sweets, Toys and Games for the kids, Toiletries, and tent pegs! (To name but a few).
- Sheltered, level and spacious grass pitches
- Designated Parking Areas, (See the Campsite map HERE for details), making The Hideaway even more tranquil and safer for everyone.
- Modern luxurious heated toilet and shower block with privacy cubicles, free showers (no coins or tokens required here!), and disabled toilet and shower
- Drying room for wet boots and outdoor clothes
- Baby changing
- Chemical toilet disposal
- Indoor heated Pot-wash and food preparation room including communal fridge and freezer, (do bear in mind that these do become rather full during busy periods and any warm (ha!) weather.
- Fire pits on all pitches – we supply fire wood at £6 a bag, but you can bring your own just PLEASE do not forage for wood on and around the site! Landowner will issue fines and we wouldn’t be much of a Hideaway if everyone did it!
- Book swap (Accountants not allowed to use this facility….NO BOOKKEEPERS!) 😉
- Large multi-use games and recreation area with exercise park, children’s play equipment and tennis court 5 minute walk from campsite
- Mobile Bakery! Freshly baked bread and bread buns available from 1145am until 1230pm at the village green every Saturday!
- Delicious home baked food and fantastic whole ground coffee all served from Liza Jane- a beautiful vintage caravan. Please see FOOD@The Hideaway page, or click HERE.
- Access is by narrow farm lane with passing places.
For a proper authentic camping experience why not hire a tripod and grill to cook some of that lovely BBQ meat or those tasty breakfast sausages!
Available from Reception for £5 for the duration of your stay, (+£20 returnable deposit, must be brought back CLEAN! )
The Hideaway was set up to operate with as little impact on the environment as possible and is run on sustainable grounds for the benefit of future generations of campers. As we are a very rural site disposing of commercial waste is not easy, we encourage you to recycle or take home your rubbish. This will then provide the same opportunities for enjoyment for your children by recycling as much as you can.
PLEASE help to keep The Hideaway a David Bellamy Conservation Gold Award winner by taking home with you any large items such as broken chairs, tables, air-beds, windbreaks, etc and by separating and recycling glass from general waste, this reduces the amount that goes to land-fill.
Land-Fill is Not Good 🙁
The Hideaway@Baxby Manor provides a recycling facility with a bin on site for glass, one for all other recyclables and one for batteries – please help us by using them!
Last year the site recycled 25% of its rubbish, we would like to increase this to 50% for the coming year. The number of recycling bins will be increased and we have invested in a new Recycling Centre to help, however we can only do this with your help and request that recyclables are separated from General Waste.
We are situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty and would like to keep it that way for future generations to enjoy. So please no fly tipping. Please take away large items of broken camping equipment, the local tips are listed below. Pitches should be left as you would wish to find them, ready for the next visitor.
- April to September – 8.30am to 5pm (open every day except Wednesdays*)
- October to March – 8.30am to 4pm (open every day except Wednesdays*)
Other useful information
There is minimal, subtle lighting outside on the site so that you can see the stars – bring a torch.
For the benefit of others (and Barney’s daily cleaning!) please bring some flip-flops or other similar shoes to wear in the wet-room areas. Shoe covers are provided in times of wet weather.
In line with our environmental low impact policy, there are no hard-standings – all pitches are grass and cars are parked in designated areas. Parking areas are close (a few meters) from most pitches.
For the benefit of all our neighbours and your fellow campers, we have a strict no noise from 11pm through to 7am and a no amplified music policy so if you like to spend your evenings chatting around the fire that’s not a problem but if you want to party then we’re not the site for you!
Dogs are welcome by arrangement at an additional charge, but only on leads. Please note that this is a firm house rule to protect wildlife and livestock. There is no dog exercise area on site, but the farm lanes and adjacent footpaths provide plenty of suitable space.
Our electricity is supplied by Ecotricity who maintain that all electricity comes from renewable energy sources and you will see that we use LED and solar lights only around the campsite.